Regardless of the precautions taken, the negligence of others may lead to your serious injury. For example, an injury may occur because of reasons out due to lack of maintenance and upkeep of a property or the creation of dangerous conditions such as hidden traps etc. Here are a few important steps to follow if you decide to file a slip and fall lawsuit.
1. Recall & record everything that happened. You will need all of this information when you consult your attorney and doctor. Take pictures of the area where you fell and its surroundings-namely, the hazards that may have contributed to your fall such as icy patches, a faulty staircase (and the particular step that made you fall) or a poorly maintained railing. Important facts that should be included in your written report are:
- What caused the fall?
- Where exactly did you fall?
- Were there dangerous conditions? If so, what were they?
- Were there visible or hidden hazards that contributed to your fall? Take note of them.
- Were warning signs present to alert of people of potential danger?
2. Report the accident. Wherever you fall, you should put in a report and ask for a copy before you leave. If the incident occurred in a business such as a store, report it to the manager. If it was on private property, report it to either the landlord or the homeowner. If you injury is serious enough that you need to go to the hospital, it is best if you have the ambulance pick you up from the location.
3. Promptly make a doctor’s appointment. Even if the injury sustained is minor, still visit your doctor to get a proper check up. He or she may need to take x-rays or perform other tests. Be sure to provide accurate and truthful details on what happened so that he or she can provide an accurate report, diagnosis and treatment options as needed.
4. Hire an experienced attorney. If you slipped and fell due to someone else’s negligence, having an attorney by your side is vital. You need someone to help you navigate through the legal system and to fight for you to recover compensation for your medical treatments or lost wages. The expert attorneys at Daniella Levi & Associates, P.C. can help you with your case.
Remember to always be aware of your surroundings. If you do find yourself in a slip and fall accident, having the right kind of Accident Attorney on your side can make all the difference in your settlement. Come in today for a FREE consultation or give us a call at (718)-380-1010.